Lesson 5. My progress in English
I. Grammar Smart
Fill in the correct form of the verb.
1. We usually ... (go/are going) out on Sunday.
2. My friends ... (plan/are planning) our weekend at the moment.
3. Look! Ann ... (does/is doing) her morning exercises.
4. My friends and I often ... (go/are going) to the Internet Cafe after classes.
5. Helen ... (helps/is helping) her granny in the garden every summer.
6. Listen! Somebody ... (knocks/is knocking) at the door.
1. We usually go out out on Sunday.
2. My friends are planning our weekend at the moment.
3. Look! Ann is doing her morning exercises.
4. My friends and I often go to the Internet Cafe after classes.
5. Helen helps her granny in the garden every summer.
6. Listen! Somebody is knocking at the door.
II. Word smart
Fill in the prepositions.
1. I go ... bed ... nine o'clock.
2. Nina likes to help her mum ... the house.
3. As a rule, we go ... the cinema ... Saturday.
4. Kyiv made a great impression ... me.
5. We are getting ready ... a test now.
6. Thank you ... the invitation.
1. I go to. bed at nine o'clock.
2. Nina likes to help her mum about the house.
3. As a rule, we go to the cinema on Saturday.
4. Kyiv made a great impression on me.
5. We are getting ready for a test now.
6. Thank you for the invitation.
III. Function Smart
Match the questions to the answers.
1 - с; 2 - a; 3 - 4; 4 - b; 5 - е.
IV. Time to Read
Read the story "A Perfect Pupil" and mark the right statements.
A PERFECT PUPIL
I have a friend, her name is Alice. She is the best pupil in my class and she has become our school tennis champion this year. The teachers think that Alice is a perfect pupil. She herself doesn't think so. Alice says, "I am a well-organized person and try to do everything in time. That's why I manage to do a lot of things. I follow the proverb "Business before pleasure" and I don't like to waste time. I resume my lessons at about four o'clock when I come back from my tennis club. As a rule, I do all the lessons and always get good marks at school.
I started to play tennis four years ago at a summer camp. At first it was just a hobby. Then I started to take part in competitions. I play tennis three times a week and it helps me to keep fit. I love tennis, but I have lots of other interests, too, like going dancing, listening to music or reading. I know that all this helps me to study well.
1. Alice has become our school tennis champion this year.
2. She started to play tennis, when she was five.
3. Alice began playing tennis at a summer camp.
4. Alice says she is a well-organized person.
5. She resumes her lessons in the evening.
6. Her interests and hobby help her to study well.
1, 3, 4, 5, 6.
VI. Time to Write
Write a description of your everyday schedule.
I usually get up at half past six. I do my morning exercises and at seven o'clock I go to the bathroom. At half past seven I have breakfast and at eight o'clock I go to school. School starts at 9 o'clock. At quarter past ten I have my English lesson. At quarter to twelve I have lunch. My lessons are over at 2 pm. After school I socialize with my friends. Besides I attend a tennis club three times a week. My duty is to take my dog to walk. I am usually tired after classes so I enjoy listening to music to relax in the evening.