Lesson 5. My progress in English
I. Grammar Smart
Choose the correct form of the word.
1. I have eaten all... (my, mine) chocolates.
2. Can I have one of ... (your, yours)?
3. I hope Ann won't forget to write about ... (ours, our) Ukrainian cuisine.
4. Sure, we will write about... (theirs, their).
5. Dinner was served an hour ago. I had ... (my, mine).
6. Did Ann have ... (her, hers)?
1. I have eaten all my chocolates.
2. Can I have one of yours?
3. I hope Ann won't forget to write about our Ukrainian cuisine.
4. Sure, we will write about theirs.
5. Dinner was served an hour ago. I had mine.
6. Did Ann have hers?
II. Word Smart
Insert the prepositions where necessary.
1. I have three meals ... a day.
2. We have Ukrainian borsch ... the first course.
3. An apple pie is ... my taste.
4. There are many tasty dishes ... the menu.
5. Put a knife ... the right... the plate.
6. My granny knows much ... cooking.
1. I have three meals a day.
2. We have Ukrainian borsch for the first course.
3. An apple pie is to my taste.
4. There are many tasty dishes on the menu.
5. Put a knife on the right of the plate.
6. My granny knows much about cooking.
III. Function Smart
Match conversation lines A to lines В
1 - e; 2 - a; 3 - f; 4 - с; 5 - d; 6 - b.
IV. Time to Read
Read the news story and choose the correct title.
1. A Sweet Tooth.
2. Believe or not.
3. Dark Danger.
If you put much sugar in your tea, if you can eat a jar of jam, if you cat chocolate every day, then you are sure to have got a sweet tooth. Your parents scold you for that and the doctors don't advise you to eat much sweet. They are right, of course. But here is a piece of great news for every sweet tooth - chocolate is good for you.
• Firstly, chocolate is good for your heart.
• Secondly, you feel happy when you eat chocolate because it tastes good and because it has the right chemicals.
• Thirdly, chocolate helps you to think and concentrate. So if you have a test or a dictation, eat some chocolate to prepare for it.
Of course, don't eat too much and choose dark chocolate which has a lot of cocoa (over 70%). They say, if you eat chocolate three times a month, you can live a year longer than those who don't eat it at all. Do you believe it? See for yourself!
The correct title is 2. Believe or not.