Lesson 2. What do we look like?
I. Conversation Warm-up
Look and find the members of one family. Say why you think so.
Example: I think these two people are members of one family because they both have blue eyes.
I think these two people are members of one family because:
- they both have blue eyes and fair hair.
- they both have brown eyes and brown hair.
- they both have black eyes and black hair.
III. Grammar Smart
Play a grammar trio game.
E x a m p l e:
C: the warmest
warm - warmer - the warmest;
fine - finer - the finest;
big - bigger - the biggest;
clever - cleverer - the clever;
pretty - prettier - the prettiest;
new - new - the newest;
blue - bluer - the bluest;
old - older - the oldest;
cold - colder - the coldest;
small - smaller - the smallest;
green - greener - the greenest;
kind - kinder - the kindest.
III. Grammar Smart
№ a, b
a) Compare the following.
b) Complete the sentences.
Example: Ann has the ... hair in the class, (long) → Ann has the longest hair in the class.
1. Steve is ... than his brother, (tall)
2. Rose is the ... in the family, (young)
3. Helen is ... than her sister, (good-looking)
4. Jennifer is the ... among the Collinses, (reasonable)
5. William has an ... sister, (old)
a) 1. This Mower is beautiful. Thai flower is more beautiful. The rose is the most beautiful.
2. Little Red Hood is good-looking. Cinderella is better-looking. Snow White is the best-looking.
3. This cartoon is exciting. That cartoon is more exciting. That one is the most exciting.
4. The computer is modern. The note-book is more modem. The tablet is the most modern.
5. The shoes are comfortable. The slippers are more comfortable. The trainers are the most comfortable,
b) Complete the Sentences
Steve is taller than his brother.
Rose is the youngest in the family.
Helen is better looking than her sister.
Jenniler is the most reasonable among the Collinses.
William has an elder sister.
IV. Word Smart
Study these words and describe:
wrinkled face stooping back
young at heart bushy eyebrows
Example: My grandparents are young at heart ... .
My teenage brother is good-looking. He has straggly hair and blue eyes. He has long legs.
My little sister is pretty- He has curly hair, rosy cheeks and tiny nose.
My Mum is beautiful and slender. She has straight hair.
My Dad is a handsome man. He has a beard and moustache.
My grandparents are young at heart. My granny is a grey-haired woman with a wrinkled face.
My grandpa has a stooping back and bushy eyebrows. He is bald.
Find a photo of your nuclear family and write who you look like.
I look like my mother. We both have long curly fair hair, a small nose and grey eyes.
V. Time to Read
Answer the questions.
1. Who is the oldest member of the Collinses' family?
2. Who has a younger sister?
3. Who is the Collinses' elder child?
4. Who is young at heart?
5. How many years is Mike older than Rosy?
1. Grandpa is the oldest member of the Collinses family.
2. Jenniler has a younger sister.
3. Mike is Collinses eldest child.
4. Grandparents are young at heart.
5. Mike is nine years older than Rosy.
VI. Time to Communicate
1. Look at the picture of Jeniffer's parents when they were 25 years old, and say if they look different now.
Pattern: Jennifer' mother was pretty. Now she is good-looking, too.
2. You call Helen on the phone after the family party. Ask her questions and roleplay the dialogue in pairs. Follow the pattern.
B: In her nice black dress.
B: Her husband David. A-
B: Yes, he is so good-looking.
B: No, she is sweet and plump.
1. Jennifer's mother was pretty. Now she is good-looking too. Jennifer's father was a handsome man with moustache. Now he is a handsome man with a beard and moustache. Jennifer's grandmother had brown hair. Now she has grey hair. Jennifer's grandfather was a slender fair-haired man. Now he is a bald man with a stooping back.
What was Jennifer wearing? She was in her nice black dress.
Who was standing near her? Her husband David.
Did you like him? Yes, he is so good-looking.
Is there daughter naughty? No, she is sweet and plump.
VII. Time to Write
Write a description of yourself as a teenager. Begin with:
I am ... now.
I look like my ....
I am ... , with ... figure.
I have got....
My hair is ... .
I am ... .
I think ....
I am 10 now.
I look like my Dad.
I am a tall boy with a slender figure.
1 have got brown eyes.
My hair is short and straight
They say I am good-looking.
I think they are right.