Lesson 5. My progress in English
I. Grammar Smart
Fill in few/little/much/many in the following sentences.
1. You can see ... schoolchildren on September 1.
2. There is ... snow in the Carpathian Mountains in winter.
3. The lake is nearly dry, there is ... water in it.
4. There are ... beaches in the Crimea.
5. ... people can swim in the Black Sea in such cold weather.
6. There was ... rain in our region last summer.
1. You can see many schoolchildren on September 1.
2. There is much snow in the Carpathian Mountains in winter.
3. The lake is nearly dry, there is little water in it.
4. There are many beaches in the Crimea.
5. Few people can swim in the Black Sea in such cold weather.
6. There was little rain in our region last summer.
II. Word Smart
Build word forms where possible.
III. Function Smart
Match the questions to the answers.
1 - d; 2 - a; 3 - с; 4 - e; 5 - b.
IV. Time to Read
Read the story "Young at Heart" and mark the true statements.
YOUNG AT HEART
Artek is the oldest and the most beautiful International children's centre on the southern coast of the Crimea. It was founded in 1925 near the town of Gurzuf and immediately became very popular.
Now it consists of ten camps of different shapes and sizes. It has many green parks and beaches. Its territory stretches from Mount Aiu-Dag all the way to Genoese Rocks and the ruins of the ancient fortress.
Children have the time of magic travelling by bus or taking a boat trip out to sea.
It is good fun to explore the world from the top of Mount Aiu-Dag (also known as Bear Mountain, which is an unforgettable sight), go hiking to extraordinary places or just discovering science at Artek's space exhibition and TV studio.
Every day you socialize with your friends and learn from one another. You also meet famous people from the world of sport, science or art. But the highlight of your stay in Artek is the campfire by which you care and share until after dark.
1. Artek is situated on the western coast of the Crimea.
2. Artek has big and small camps of different shapes.
3. Mount Aui-Dag has also another name.
4. Children enjoy travelling by train.
5. There are different museums and galleries on the territory of Artek.
6. The campfire is the most memorable time for all children.
1 false; 2 true: 3 true; 4 false: 5 false; 6 true.
VI. Time to Write
Write a letter to your international friends and invite them to come to your country.
How are you? I hope you all are fine. I would like to ask you to visit our country. Ukraine is wonderful. I hope youil get breathtaking experience. It's amazing to see the places of enchanting beauty. You'll learn more about our customs and traditions, take part in some celebration, visit our museums and
art galleries. You can make a grand tour and get lots of impressions.