Lesson 5. My progress in English
I. Grammar Smart
Fill in can, may or must.
1. I... make a packing list myself.
2. I... do a lot of things before I go.
3. I... give you advice on packing.
4. ... I visit your class?
5. You ... plan your route carefully.
1. I can make a packing list myself.
2. I must do a lot of things before I go.
3. I can give you advice on packing.
4. May I visit your class?
5. You must plan your route carefully.
II. Word Smart
Write the words or word-combinations for these definitions.
1. Someone who has travelled a lot.
2. Something you need to write for better packing.
3. Something you must have with you for control at the airport.
4. Something you can get information about your route from.
5. Someone who watches birds as a hobby.
1. traveller 2. packing lisl 3. travel documents 4. a guidebook 5. birdwatcher.
III. Function Smart
Match the beginnings and the endings.
1 → b; 2 → d; 3 → a; 4 → e; 5 → с.
IV. Time to Read
Read the story "Olympic Trips to Britain" and answer the questions with "Yes" or "No".
OLYMPIC TRIPS TO BRITAIN
Visitors to Britain tend to come back. So do the Olympics. London is so far the only city which has hosted Olympic Games three times in history.
It was host for the first time in 1908. 2008 athletes competed in 22 sports. They came from 22 countries. These games were the first to include winter events, such as figure skating.
The Olympics returned to London in 1948, bringing together 59 nations with 4,104 athletes. Because of their roles of aggressors in World War Two, Germany and Japan were not invited to participate. Those Olympics were the first to be broadcast into home on television.
The 2012 Olympics, or London 2012, had over 10,000 participants from 204 countries which competed in 26 sports. During the Games, the American swimmer, Michael Phelps, became the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time, winning his 22nd medal. The Games became the first at which every sport had women athletes. Bravo, Britain!
1. Has London hosted Olympic Games more than once?
2. Did athletes compete in ice hockey in 1908?
3. Did Olympics return to London during World War Two?
4. Did German athletes participate in the second Olympiad in London?
5. Did people watch all the three London Olympiads on television?
6. Did men and women compete in every sport?
1. London is so tar ihe only city which has hosted Olympic Games three times in history.
2. No, they competed in figure skating.
3. No, the Olympic returned to London after the war.
4. In 1948 Germany and Japan were not invited to participate.
5. In 1948 the Olympics were first to be broadcast into home on television.
6. In 2012 the Gaines became the first in which every sport had women athletes.
VI. Time to Write
Plan your route for a trip to Britain and describe it.
I am going to visit Britain so I am very exerted. I should not forget anything not to get in a trouble. My packing essentials include travel documents (tickets, passports), the list of important contacts, cash and a credit card. My first aid kit includes bandages, cotton, the tablets we usually use. Among other items I usually take a camera, a phrase book, souvenirs, badges. I must plan my route in advance. It will stretch from London to the Lake District. I also want to visit Scotland and Wales. I hope my dreams come true.