Lesson 5. My progress in English
I. Grammar Smart
Write the underlined words in the plural.
1. My elder sister has a child,
2. My baby brother has a new tooth.
3. My granny has got a white goose.
4. I can see a policeman over there.
5. Jack is afraid of a mouse.
My elder sister has children.
My baby brother has new teeth.
My granny has got white geese.
I can see policemen over there.
Jack is afraid of mice.
II. Word Smart
Fill in the right words.
1. Someone who works hard is a ... person.
2. Someone who does everything in time is a ... person.
3. Someone who likes to communicate with people is a ... person.
4. Someone who has good manners is a ... person.
5. Some you can rely on is a ... person.
1. Someone who works hard is a hard-working person.
2. Someone who does everything in time is a well-organised person.
3. Someone who likes to communicate with people is a sociable person.
4. Someone who has good manners is a well-bred person.
5. Some you can rely on is a reliable person.
III. Function Smart
Match the beginnings and the endings
1 - d; 2 - a; 3 - e; 4 - b; 5 - с.
IV. Time to Read
Read the story and answer the questions.
THINK BEFORE YOU TRIP
Mr Smith is a rich businessman. He lives in Texas, in the South of the USA. He has a friendly family: his wife, Mrs Smith, two sons and a younger daughter. They have an interesting family tradition - to take trips to big cities of America. Mr and Mrs Smith think it helps to learn more about their country.
Now they are travelling in New York. New York's skyscrapers make a great impression on the children. Every day they see different places of interest and take pictures of them. They are staying at a hotel which is a 68-storeyed building. Their rooms are on the 25-th floor. Usually they go upstairs by elevator. But yesterday evening, when they were back to the hotel, the elevator didn't work. So they had to climb up their floor on foot. At last they found themselves at their door. What a relief! "Let's open the door", said Mr Smith. "Who has the key?" They looked at each other and understood everything: the key was still downstairs.
It was a good lesson to the family - think before you trip.
1. Do the Smiths live in New York?
2. Do they like to travel to big cities?
3. They like skyscrapers, don't they?
4. Is their hotel a skyscraper too?
5. Does the elevator work perfectly in the hotel?
6. Did they leave the key upstairs?
No, they live in the Texas.
Yes, they like to travel to big cities. Yes, they like skyscrapers.
Their hotel is a skyscraper too.
The elevator didn't work perfectly. They left the key downstairs.
VI. Time to Write
Draw your family tree and describe it.
I have got parents and a sister. They are my nuclear family. I have got grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. They are my extended family. My Grandparents on my mothers side have got two daughters - my Mum and her sister. My aunt has got a husband. They have got a son arid a daughter. They are my cousins. My grandparents on my father's side have got two children - my dad and his sister. My aunt has got a husband and they have a son. He is my boy-cousin. I am glad to meet all my relatives when we get a family reunion.