Work in pairs. Ask and answer the questions about the buildings and places you see in the pictures. Use the words in the box on page 143.
• a monument • a bridge • a square • a street • a cinema • a castle • a school • a park • a supermarket • a church • a museum • a hotel •
A: Do you see a castle or a monument in Picture 2?
B: I see a castle there.
1. Do you see a cinema or a supermarket in Picture 1? - I see a cinema there.
2. Do you see a castle or a church in Picture 2? - I see a castte there.
3. Do you see a bridge or a monument in Picture 3? - I see a oridge there.
4 Do you see a park or a square in Picture 4? - I see a park there.
5. Do you see a monument or a bridge in Picture 5? - I see a monument there.
6. Do you see a school or a hotel in Picture 6? - I soe a school there.
7. Do you see a street or a park in Picture 7? - I see a street there
8 Do you see a hotel or a school in Picture 8? - I see a hotel there.
9. Do you see a square or a street in Picture 9? - I see a square there.
10. Do you see a supermarket er a cinema in Picture 10? - I see a supermarket there.
11. Do you see a museum or a castle in Picture 11? - I see a museum there.
12. Do you see a church or a museum in Picture 12? - I see a church there.
Read and complete the sentences. Use the words from Ex. 1.
1. The ..... is the best place to see the river.
2. You can see children who play in the ..... .
3. There is the ..... to Princess Olha in the main ..... .
4. There is a ..... and two ..... in the centre of our town.
5. The ..... is the best place to buy food.
6. You can learn about the history of the town in the local ..... .
1. The bridge is the best place to see the river.
2. You can see children who play in the park.
3. There is the monument to Princess Olha in the main square.
4. There is a cinema and two schools in the centre of our town.
5. The supermarket is the best place to buy food.
6. You can learn about the history of the town in the local museum.
Listen and read. What cities do the children live in?
I live in Lviv. It is a beautiful city in the western part of
Ukraine. It is full of things for the tourists to do and see. They can find many great museums, churches and old buildings. The most popular attractions in Lviv are the Pharmacy (Apteka) Museum, the Lviv Art Gallery and Market Square. Lviv also has some beautiful parks.
I live in the south of Ukraine, in the city of Odessa. It is situated on the Black Sea coast. It is a very important port. It is the city of art, humour, theatres and museums. Odessa is full of historical, architectural and cultural sights. The most popular of them are the Potemkin Stairs, the Opera and Ballet House, Primorskiy Boulevard and the famous Odessa beach "Arcadia".
The children live in Lviv and Ocesa.
Work in pairs. Ask and answer the questions.
1. What is one of the oldest cities in Ukraine?
2. What city is situated on the Black Sea coast?
3. What are Lviv and Odessa famous for?
4. What city would you like to visit? Why?
1. Lviv is one of the oldest cities in Ukraine.
2. Odesa is situated on the Black Sea coast.
3. Lviv and Odessa are famous for their museums, theatres, churches and other historical, architectural and cultural sights.
4. I would like to visit both cities, because they have many popular places of interest.
Look through the text of Ex. 3, page 143 and complete the table.
Write a letter to your English-speaking friend. Tell him / her about one of the most famous historical cities in Ukraine.
Start like this:
Thank you for your letter. In this letter Vd like to tell you about one of the most famous historical cities in Ukraine ..... .
Write me soon and inform me about ..... .
Thank you for your letter. In this letter I'd like to tell you about Kharkiv.
one of the most famous historical cities in Ukraine. Kharkiv is quite an old city. It was founded about 350 years ago Kharkiv was the capital of Ukraine since 1919 till 1934. Today it is the second largest city in the country. About 2 million oeoote live here.
Kharkiv is one of the major cultural and scientific centres of Ukraine. There are many schools and universities in Kharkiv. There is the Scientific Library, the Historical and Natural Science Museums and the Museum of Fine Arts in Kharkiv. You shoulc visit this city. Write me soon and inform me about one of the most famous historical cities in your country.