Listen and fill in the verbs make or do. Match the phrases (1-8) to the pictures (A-H). Then make sentences to talk about holiday preparations.
In our family we usually do the cleaning before every holiday. We also do the shopping.
______ 1. ..... the decorations
______ 2. ..... the dusting
______ 3. ..... a special dish
______ 4. ..... postcards
______ 5. ..... the shopping
______ 6. ..... a birthday cake
______ 7. ..... the cleaning
______ 8. ..... tea
1) g - make; 2) d - do; 3) а - make; 4) c - make; 5) h - do; 6) b - make; 7) e - do; 8) f - make.
1. In our family we usually oo the dusting and the cleaning before every holiday. 2. We always make the decorations before tne New Year party. 3. I like to make postcards for my relatives. 4. My mother usually makes a birthday сале for my birthday party. 5. My granny made a special dish for me yesterday. 6. It is cold. Let's make some tea.
Read the text. Match the pictures (A-C) to the paragraphs (1-3) on pp. 169-170. What Christmas traditions have you learned about? Do we have the same traditions in Ukraine?
1. People in Britain celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December. On the Eve of this holiday all people do the shopping. They buy food and make postcards. On Christmas Day, families and friends exchange presents and share a Christmas dinner. Traditionally, they make a special dish. It is usually a turkey and a Christmas pudding. There are crackers beside every place setting. Crackers are colourful packages with a paper hat, a joke, and a little present. Two people pull it in different directions to make a cracking noise.
2. Children also prepare for a holiday. They make the decorations and write a letter to Father Christmas. They believe that Father Christmas or Santa Claus brings presents to them. On Christmas Eve children hang Christmas stockings at the end of their beds or at the fireplace. Father Christmas comes down the chimney and puts presents in their stockings.
3. One of the symbols of Christmas is a Christmas Tree. Many people in Great Britain have a decorated Christmas tree in their houses at Christmas. This tradition came to Britain from Germany. Prince Albert put up the first Christmas Tree for his wife. Queen Victoria, in Windsor Castle, in 1841.
1) c; 2) a; 3) b.
Work in pairs. Take turns to ask and answer the questions.
1. What do the British people do before Chrismas Day?
2. What special dish do they make?
3. Where does the tradition of decorating Christmas Tree come from?
4. Why do children put a Christmas stocking at their beds or at the fireplace?
1. Before Christmas Day all people oo the shopping.
2. They make a turkey and a Christmas pudding.
3. The tradition of decorating Christmas tree comes from Germany. Prince Albert put up the first Christmas tree for his wife. Queen Victoria, in Windsor Castle, in 1841.
4. Father Christmas comes s down the chimney and puts presents in their stockings.
Read the sentences and complete the rules.
St. Valentine's Day is on the fourteenth of February. This year my birthday is on Saturday. Mother's Day is on the second Sunday in May. In Ukraine Christmas is in January.
We use on with days. We use in with months.
Complete the sentences. Use the prepositions at, on or In.
1. The celebration is ..... Sunday.
2. In Great Britain Christmas is ..... December.
3. The English lesson is ..... Tuesday.
4. It's my sister's birthday ..... Friday.
5. The test is .....Wednesday. I'll have a lot of work ..... the weekend.
6. The school starts ..... September.
1. The celebration is on Sunday.
2. In Great Britain Christmas is in December.
3. The English lesson is on Tuesday.
4. It's my sister's birthday on Friday.
5. The test is on Wednesday. I'll have a lot of work at the weekend.
6. The school starts in September.
Speak in class. Act out the situation.
You are talking with your English-speaking friend on Skype. Ask him / her questions about the Christmas traditions in Great Britain. Tell him / her something about the way we celebrate Christmas in Ukraine.
A: Hi, Mike! Do your family make preparations for Christmas?
B: Hi, Peter! Yes, we do. My parents are in the shopping centre now. And I and my younger brother are docorating the Christmas tree and the living room.
A: What do you usually have for Christmas Dinner?
B: We usually have Christmas turkey, potatoes, green vegetables and the Christmas pudding as tho dessert for Christmas Dinner.
A: Sounds tasty. Who brings you the presents on Christmas Eve?
B: Santa Claus wings presents to us. We hang stockings at the end of our beds and he puts presents in them.
A: I have heard that you havo a tradition to pull tho crackers? Can you tell me about it?
B: Crackers are colourful packages with a paper hat, a joke, and a little present. Two people pull it in different directions to make а сrасkіng noise. We always have crackers beside our place settings. Can you tell me some words about your Christmas traditions?
A: Ukrainians have Christmas on January 7. The Holy Supper is the beginning of the festival. There is a tradition to prepare 12 different dishes for this supper. The first course is always Kutia It is the main oish of the whole supper. At the end of the suoper we often sing Kolyadky (Ukrainian Christmas Carols). All my family likes this holiday very much and invites you to celebrate it with us.
В: I'd love to! Thank you!
Read and complete Tony's letter to Father Christmas.
I am ..... from...... I live with my family. I love my Dad and ..... very much. I always help her about the house. I .... many friends. At school, my favourite subject .....Music. We usually have it ..... Tuesday.
My hobbies.....playing the piano and listening to pop music. I also love animals but I haven't got a pet. Can I have ..... dog or a cat for Christmas?
Thank you! Love,
Dear Father Christmas,
I am Tony from Ukraine. I live with my family. I love my Dad and Mum very much. I always help her about the house. I have many friends. At school, my favourite subject is Music. We usually have it on Tuesday.
My hobbies are playing the piano and listening to pop music. I also love animals but I haven't got a pet. Can I have a dog or a cat for Christmas?
Thank you! Love,
Write your letter to Father Christmas. In this letter:
• introduce yourself;
• write a few words about your family;
• write about your favourite school subject;
• say what present you want to get.
Dear Father Christmas.
My name is Vika. I'm from Temooil, Ukraine. I love my parents very much. I always help them about the house.
I like to study at school. I like all my suojects, but English is the most favourite one. I'm keen on music ano I wish to get a music player. Can I get it for Christmas?