Work in pairs. Look at the pictures. Ask and answer the questions.
1. What holidays do Ukrainian people celebrate every year?
2. What holidays does your family celebrate every year?
3. What traditions do you have in your family?
4. Why is it important to keep the traditions alive?
1. There are many holdays Ukrainian people celebrate every year. They are New Year, Christmas, Easter, Constitution Day, Independence Day, Women's Day, Victory Day, May Day, the Day of Knowledge, etc. 2. My family celebrate Now Year, Christmas ana Easter every year. 3. Every year we try to celebrate New Year in our granoparents' house. Each of us prepares a little present for other members of the family. We usually put them under the Christmas tree. We also like to wear costumes and masks. 4. Traditions are important because they contain our best knowledge collected over the years. They help us to remember our history and keep families and even the whole nations together.
Listen, read and say what Ukrainian traditions Ann is writing about.
April 15th, 20____
Thank you for your interesting letter. I'll tell you about some Ukrainian traditions.
Christmas is the most beloved holiday among Ukrainians. The family usually gathers together for a holiday supper of twelve dishes. The supper starts with the first star in the sky. "Kutya" is the main dish at this supper. It is a dish of wheat, honey, raisins, nuts and poppy seeds. There are no meat dishes on the table. People cook beans, mushrooms, cabbage, beetroots and other vegetables. "Kolyadka" songs usually end the evening.
Come and visit me next Christmas! We'll have a lot of fun together.
Ann is writing about Christmas traditions in Ukraine.
Read and choose the correct items to complete the sentences.
1. Ann writes about school / traditional and public holidays in Ukraine.
2. Ukrainians usually work and study / don't work and study on public holidays.
3. There are some / no professional holidays in Ukraine.
4. Ann asks / writes about the way people celebrate Christmas in Ukraine.
5. Ann writes / doesn't write about traditional food people cook.
6. Ann invites her friend to come to Ukraine next Christmas / next summer.
1. Ann writes about traditional and public holidays in Ukraine.
2. Ukrainians usually don't work and study on public holidays.
3. There are some professional holidays in Ukraine.
4. Ann writes about the way people celebrate Christmas in Ukraine.
5. Ann writes about traditional food people cook.
6. Ann invites her friend to come to Ukraine next Christmas.
Look at the pictures and talk about Christmas in Ukraine.
Start like this:
Ukrainians celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January.
Christmas is a time when people celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Ukrainians have Christmas on January, 7. The Holy Supper is the beginning o' the festival. There is a tradition to prepare 12 diferent dishes for this supper. The first course is always Kutia. It is the main dish of the whole supper. It is a dish of wheat, honey, raisins, nuts ana poppy seeds. There are no meat dishes on the table. People cook beans, mushrooms, cabbage, beetroots and other vegetables. At the end of the supper people often sing Kolyadky (Ukrainian Christmas Carols).
Speak in class. Explain the proverb "Every country has its customs". Start like this:
Different countries have different traditions and customs. For example, people celebrate Christmas in Ukraine, Great Britain and other countries of the world. The date of the celebration is different in some countries. Etc.
Every country and every nation has its own traditions and customs. It's very important to know traditions and customs ol different people. It will help you to know more about the history and life of diferent nations and counlrios. One cannot spoak about England without speaking about its traditions and customs. They are very imoortant in the life of English people. There are some traditions connected with Christmas. One of them is to give presents to each other, even at work Another tradition is to send brightly coloured Christmas cards. Most of big cities in Great Britain, especially London, are decorated with coloured lights and Christmas trees. On Trafalgar Square stands a big Christmas tree. It is a gift from the people of Oslo. It is over 50 feet high. Many families celebrate Christmas day in the open air near the Christmas tree in order to catch the spirit of the holiday.
Write 8-9 sentences about your favourite holiday.
1. Where is your town / village situated?
2. What is it like?
3. How many people live there?
4. What do the people do at the weekend?
5. Are there any special festivals in your town (village)? What do people do at them?
6. Which of them is your favourite holiday?
I live in Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine. It is situated in the centre of our country. It is very oig and has a long history. About 3 million peooto live there. My family, just like many other people, like to spend our weekends on the nature. But sometimes there are special festivals in our. city which we also like to visit. The most favourite one is the celebration of Now Year. Many people gather together on Majdan Nezalezhnosti around the main New Year tree to celebrate this holiday. There you can watch a concert with famous Ukrainian singers. But most of all we like to watch the firework display there. I recommend everybody to celebrate New Year in the following way.