Work in pairs. Ask and answer the questions about your school subjects.
1. What school do you study at?
2. What form are you in?
3. What subjects do you study this year?
4. How many lessons a day do you have?
5. When do your lessons start?
6. When are your lessons over?
1. I study at school number 15. 2. I am in the fifth form. 3. This year I study Mathematics, Ukrainian Language, Ukrainian ana Foreign Literature, English and German Languages, Nature Studies, History, Handicrafts, Art and PE. 4. I usually have six lessons a day 5. My lessons start at half past eight. 5. My lessons are over at two o'clock in the afternoon.
Read the pupils' opinions about their school subjects and say what subjects they like and don't like.
Serhiy: I'd like to be an engineer. It's very important for me to know Mathematics well. People can't build fine buildings or bridges without Mathematics. We can't buy anything without Mathematics. I have got Maths lessons three times a week.
Anna: My favourite lesson is Nature Study. It's so interesting for me to learn new things about the natural world. At the lessons we learn about plant and animal life. In my notebook I always draw and write about what I've learnt. It's really great!
Danylo: I enjoy my school PE lessons. We have them twice a week. We usually wear our PE kits. These are yellow T-shirts and blue shorts. In early autumn and spring we have our PE lessons on the school sports ground. We run, jump and play different ball games there. It is not as difficult as Mathematics and it is not boring like History!
Kate: All school subjects are difficult and boring for me. I spend much time doing my homeworks. Drawing is the best subject for me. I draw all the time and everywhere. When I draw I use a pen, a pencil or a piece of chalk. When I paint I use my paints and paintbrushes.
Serhiy likes Mathematics.
Anna likes Nature Study.
Danylo likes PE, but he doesn't like Mathematics and History.
Kate likes Drawing, but she doesn't like the other subjects.
Read and complete the sentences.
1. ..... likes animals and plants.
2. ..... loves making pictures.
3. ..... thinks that.....is interesting / great / boring.
4. ..... thinks that.....difficult / not difficult.
1. Anna likes animals and plants.
2. Kate loves making pictures.
3. Anna thinks that Nature Study is interesting; / Danylo: History is boring.
4. Danylo Mathematics is difficult thinks that Serhiy mathematics is not difficult.
Speak in class. Talk about the school subjects your friends study at school. Use the words in the box given below.
• Mathematics • Ukrainian Literature • Ukrainian Language • Nature Study • History • Foreign Languages • Life and Health Care • English • German • French • Handicrafts • PE • Drawing •
At school Inna has got Mathematics every day.
At school Oles studies Handicrafts. He has got this lesson on Friday.
1. At school Mary has got English two times a week. 2. At school Victor studies History. He has got this lesson on Wednesday. 3. At school Svitlana has got Ukrainian Language two times a weeK. 4. At school Andriy studies Nature Study. He has got this lesson on Monday. 5. At school Petro has got Life and Health Care once a week. 6. At school Oksana has got PE lessons on Tuesday and Thursday.
Make dialogues as in the example. Use the words and phrases in the boxes given on page 197.
A: Do the pupils do exercises at the lessons of English?
B: Yes, they do.
School Subjects • Maths • Drawing • History • Nature Study •
• to count • to do the sums • to calculate • to use four rules of Mathematics • to read books / texts / rules • to do exercises • to answer the teachers' and classmates' questions • to listen to smb's answers • to draw pictures / flowers / leaves / animals •
A: Do the pupils do the sums at the lessons of Maths?
B: Yes, they do.
A: Do the pupils draw pictures at the lessons Of Drawing?
B: Yes. they do.
A: Do the pupils listen to smb's answers at tho lessons of History?
B: Yes, they do.
A: Do the pupils calculate at the lessons ol Nature Study?
B: No, they don't.
Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense form.
1. Ivan ..... (to read) English fast, but I ..... (to read) English slowly.
2. Which languages ..... (you / to understand)? - I.....(to understand) English and German a little.
3. Olha ..... (to like) Music, but she ..... (not / to like) Maths because it's difficult for her.
4. When .....(he / to have) six lessons?
5. ..... (you / to do) your homework yesterday?
6. ..... (Maths / to be) useful?
7. I ..... (to get) three good marks yesterday.
8. Steve ..... (already / to write) his composition.
9. They ..... (to answer) the teacher's questions now.
10. Sue ..... (to have) lunch in the school canteen tomorrow.
1. Ivan reads (to read) English fast, but I read (to read) English slowly.
2. Which languages do you understand (you / to understand)? - I understand; (to understand) English and German a little.
3. Olha likes (to like) Music, but she doesn't like (not / to like) Maths because it's difficult for her.
4. When does he have (he / to have) six lessons?
5. Did you do(you / to do) your homework yesterday?
6. Is Maths (Maths / to be) useful?
7. I got (to get) three good marks yesterday.
8. Steve has already written (already / to write) his composition.
9. They are answenng (to answer) the teacher's questions now.
10. Sue will have (to have) lunch in the school canteen tomorrow.